About Open BIM
Open BIM is a universal approach to the collaborative design, realization and operation of buildings based on open standards and workflows.
Open BIM Certification is a technical certification system developed by buildingSMART® to help AEC software vendors improve, test and certify their data connections to work seamlessly with other Open BIM solutions.
The technical basis for Open BIM technology compliance is through buildingSMART's IFC 2.0 certification process.
Why is it important?
- Open BIM supports a transparent, open workflow, allowing project members to participate regardless of the software tools they use.
- Open BIM creates a common language for widely referenced processes, allowing industry and government to procure projects with transparent commercial engagement, comparable service evaluation and assured data quality.
- Open BIM provides enduring project data for use throughout the asset life--cycle, avoiding multiple input of the same data and consequential errors.
- Small and large (platform) software vendors can participate and compete on system independent, ‘best of breed’ solutions.
- Open BIM energizes the online product supply side with more exact user demand searches and delivers the product data directly into the BIM.
We are reorganising the Open BIM initiative under new criteria to ensure an open approach in which all software vendors can participate.