With 75 members, including 55 companies and 20 research organisations, BuildingSMART Japan aims at promoting and implementing the IFC standards in the region, through 5 domain group activities (each of them performing a monthly meeting).
- Architectural & Cross Domain Group: works on modeling guidelines for finishing and focusing on IfcCovering usage
- Structural domain group: works on structural implementation agreements
- Building Service and Facilities Management Domain group: works on the implementation of IFCs in building service and facilities management (i.e. smoke extraction systems and airflow terminals)
- Civil Engineering Domain group: currently working on shield tunnel model for IFC
- Implementation group: coordinated by three Japanese software vendors
These groups are supported by a technical task force, responsible (besides the technical support to the above mentioned groups) for the organisation of seminars and workshops. The communication is managed by Nikkei BP Construction IT.