The Technical Room has overall responsibility to explore and coordinate the investigation and where desirable facilitate buildingSMART’s engagement with fundamental technical advancements which may enhance or accelerate the provision of robust open BIM solutions to users.
The Technical Room’s specific remit is the coordination of the core technical development of the IFC model and associated technical standards to safely, rigorously and in a commercially viable manner support the development open BIM to fully meet users’ needs and ambitions.
The Technical Room’s responsibilities are:
- the maintenance of the IFC Basic Standards Set (base IDM, IFC, MVD, IFD and BCF Standards
- to continuously develop, improve and maintain the IFC specification and to support its implementation in IFC compatible software
- for coordination with the Process Room, the Product Room to support the implementation of the IDM and IFD standards
- the development of the IFC scheme to support interfaces with other standards and working platforms such as geospatial and web standards.
- to develop and maintain technical road maps which communicate the likely development requirements for open standards
The Technical Room is also charged with developing and maintaining links with academic instructions to ensure buildingSMART benefits from that latest technical thinking in university and develops an active technical community.
The Technical Room sponsors three Support Groups; the Model Support Group, the Implementation Support Group and the Technical Advisory Group.
Learn who is on the Room Steering Committee