The purpose of the Infrastructure Room to combine, enhance and develop open standards for intelligent data, which enable process and data integration for Infrastructure. The scope includes information exchange and process standards to support effective management of the constructed built environment and linking and integrating across BIM and GIS. The Infrastructure Room leads buildingSMART efforts in a number of areas, including those for roads, bridges, tunnels, ports and waterways.
The steering committee is led by representatives representing the broad scope of the Infrastructure Room. This includes individuals from buildingSMART members and chapters that come from consulting engineering firms, owners, and academic institutions, as well as other industry experts. The steering committee facilitates the project and activities of the room, including overseeing its working groups, leading the room sessions at buildingSMART Summits, interacting with the Standards Committee and ensuring the buildingSMART Process is followed.
- Enable data exchange based on open standards for the planning, realization and maintenance of infrastructure works and ultimately all aspects of the built environment
- Enable the exchange of information and open data access between asset management databases
- Enable enduring archives of asset information based on open standards
- Enable life cycle information management for infrastructure based on open standards
- Enable the merging of project related information e.g. requirements and risks, with asset information